Use the Library Catalog to locate materials in the library:
- To search only a specific format (DVDs, books, periodicals, etc.), select from the first drop-down menu.
- Perform an All fields search using words such as hospitality management or “tourism.” This will search the entire record of all the items in the catalog, including author, title, and subject areas.
- Perform a Subject search using a word or words such as Hospitality Industry or “hotel management” to search for items on a specific topic.
- Click the Advanced Search link to the right to search for full phrases or choose how words are combined.
- “All these words” will only return results that include every word you enter.
- “This exact phrase” is useful when the order of words is important; for example, black and white.
- “These unwanted terms” is where you list words you do not want in your results
- If you’d prefer to browse the shelves, most hospitality books are located in these call number range:
- 330-331: Economics
- 640-649: Home and Family Management
- 910-919: Geography and Travel
E-Books are available through the OCC Library Databases.
To access them, log into Ocean Connect and click on the tab for Library Services.
The link search for e-books (near the top) will open the EBSCOhost eBooks database, which has over 250 books on the Hospitality, Travel, and Tourism.
Marketline Company Profiles are available through the database Business Source Elite. To Access them, open the database and select Company Profiles from the top bar.
- Company Overview
- Key Facts
- Business Description
- Key Employees
- Key Employee Biographies
- Major Products and Services
- Revenue Analysis
- SWOT Analysis
- Top Competitors
- Company View
- Locations and Subsidiaries
Academic Search Premier – Provides full text access to a very broad range of topics: computer sciences, engineering, physics, chemistry, language and linguistics, arts & literature, medical sciences, ethnic studies, and many more.
Business Source Elite: This business database provides full text for over 1,000 business publications. The rich collection of titles in Business Source Elite provides information dating back to 1985. More than 10,100 substantial company profiles from Datamonitor are also included.
Communications and Mass Media Complete: Provides the most robust, quality research solution in areas related to communication and mass media. CMMC incorporates the content of CommSearch (formerly produced by the National Communication Association) and Mass Media Articles Index (formerly produced by Penn State) along with numerous other journals in communication, mass media, and other closely-related fields of study.
Science Direct: A comprehensive, full text database providing coverage of core, scholarly journals and books from a wide variety of subject disciplines, including the biological, physical, and engineering/computer sciences, as well as social and behavioral sciences, such as psychology, education, and business.
Hospitality, Tourism, and Leisure Collection: Provides access to scholarly journals, magazines, and trade publications that cover topics including the cultural and economic aspects of travel and tourism. The database offers current and relevant content that provides well-rounded coverage of both the historical and current state of affairs in the hospitality and tourism industries.
Internet sources can vary in quality and usefulness as information for scholarly research. This is true of the sources listed on this page. If you need to use scholarly or peer-reviewed sources, look at the evaluation criteria from the Cornell University Libraries at the link below. Cornell provides five simple criteria that can help solve the puzzle of whether the information found on the web is credible.
- Hospitality Net – Get news, opinions, and learn what’s new with brands, trends and people in the Hospitality and Food industries.
- California Restaurant Association – The California Restaurant Association provides ultimate access to the resources and support restaurant professionals need to lead thriving businesses, while serving as conscientious, contributing members of an unparalleled industry.
- National Restaurant Association – The National Restaurant Association (NRA) is the largest food-service trade association in the world*— supporting over 500,000 restaurant businesses.
- Encyclopedia Britannica
- Online reference source, including timelines, world data, quotations, and atlases. Includes links to outside journals, newspapers, and websites.
- Oxford Reference Collection
- Online access to the world’s most trusted reference collection, including dictionaries in English and other languages, encyclopedias, quotations, and subject guides.
- Encyclopedia Britannica
The APA Manual is the gold standard for writing, formatting and citation in the field of Business.
- Title: Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association. 6th ed.
Publisher: Washington, DC: American Psychological Association, 2010.
Call number: Reference DeskSee also:
Stuckey, Bobby. “Be a Hospitalian.” Online Video Clip. Youtube. Youtube, 5 Nov. 2014. Web. 11 Sept. 2015.